Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Blocks From the Past Part II: Fox and Geese

I'm baaack!

I know!! Three days in a row! Brace yourself—many more ahead, my friends!

I'm here to bring you Part II of my first week of the Blocks From the Past QAL. Today we're tackling the Fox and Geese (a.k.a., P. 24).

For those of you who followed my angst-ridden journey through the perils of the 11/16 inch, rest assured that today limits its craziness to the 3/8 inch. Totally calming and manageable, no?!

First of all, here's the block in all its finished glory:


The block calls for the following pieces:

Color 1 (Grey Architextures background): 

  • Five 2 3/8 inch squared, cut each diagonally
  • Four 2 inch squares

Color 2 (Navy & White Denyse Schmidt print): 

  • One 2 3/8 inch square, cut in half diagonally
  • One 3 7/8 inch square, cut in half diagonally
Color 3 (Green Half Moon Modern print): 
  • Two 2 3/8 inch squares, cut each in half diagonally



As with yesterday's Sister's Choice block, I sewed the bias squares the old-fashioned way. If I had had more to do, I would have sewn the two squares together and then cut down the diagonal (check out April's great blog description of this here).

After sewing and pressing the HSTs together (using Maggie's Classy Hooch Press, of course!), I assembled this as pictured below, and then sewed it all together!!


In tomorrow's post, I will try to make an argument for the modernity of the lyre (that's a "harp" to all you non-classicists out there) in needle turn appliqué. Oh boy, I live an exciting life!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking? I always welcome comments and suggestions! Thanks for stopping by Shortcookie!